Teaching in a Pandemic Reflection Series (Greenwood)

Quenton Gilmore

Quenton Gilmore

The following is from an interview with Quenton Gilmore. Quenton entered MTC in 2019, and he is currently teaching in the Greenwood School District.

1. WHAT DREW YOU TO JOIN THE MISSISSIPPI TEACHER CORPS?

I was working for the district here in Greenwood. My plan was to take a year off before going back to graduate school. While teaching, I heard about the opportunity to do MTC, and it was like everything just fell into place. Once I learned about the goals and mission of the program, I felt like we matched. The rest took care of itself.

2. WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST YEAR OF TEACHING LIKE IN MTC?

It was very unique, because we didn’t get to finish the first year. I got to practice some of the things MTC taught us. I think of it as a year of adjustments. I’m still trying to improve and get feedback. But overall, it was a good first year. 

3. HOW WAS THIS SUMMER?

I’d say that with all of the circumstances surrounding it, it was as good as it could’ve been. Even though we never met physically, the camaraderie between the classes was pretty good. I think the wellness challenge was a big help, and the other things that the program planned were great too. I know there was a struggle with no classroom teaching, but we were prepared so well for the technology part. The program really set a very high standard for that, and that helped us later on. 

4. WHAT HAS THIS FALL SEMESTER BEEN LIKE FOR YOU AS A TEACHER?

There were a lot of adjustments to be made. I am someone who is willing to do whatever needs to be done though. It’s been a good year so far . The students are really trying, and I’m still enjoying the interaction with them. I’m still trying to find ways to make it exciting for them. I’m still improving. It’s not perfect. But as long as kids are learning, I’m good. I’ve had some great feedback from students that they’re learning, so that matters the most to me.

5. WHAT HAVE YOU LEARNED ABOUT YOUR STUDENTS AND THEIR FAMILIES (THE OVERALL COMMUNITY) DURING THIS TIME?

Unfortunately, this has proven to show the inequalities that exist within the Delta. In MTC, we teach in critical needs areas. There is a reason we’re here. The districts are in need. The fact that these kids are still willing to learn and try to do well. The fact that they're doing that during this pandemic, that says a lot about them all. I was very impressed by that. It does show some inequalities that exist though, and I think it has gotten the attention of a lot of policy makers. A lot of students aren’t as privileged as we are. So what can we do as teachers and staff to try and help those situations? I think we’re trying to do just that. 

6. WHO HAVE YOU LEANED ON FOR SUPPORT DURING THIS TIME?

One of the other great things about teaching in my hometown is I get so much support from my family - my mom, my wife, my uncles, aunts. There are lots of educators in my family, but I especially get a lot of support from my mom. The people in my community, in general, are great too. They’ve been very supportive. MTC has too. Dr. Taylor has checked in on me, and a lot of my peers offer great support. 

7. WHAT HAS BEEN ONE UNEXPECTED SILVER LINING ABOUT TEACHING THIS SEMESTER?

One is more professional and one is personal. Professionally, seeing the inequalities that exist - this has brought more attention and awareness to the situation. That’s great. That right there is a silver lining. Personally, I got married very recently, and I met my wife during the pandemic. Our story really is tied to the pandemic. We found love during this time period. She has been so helpful to me. If the pandemic didn’t happen, I’d probably be more focused on myself and working, so this time period gave us time to find each other. Those are my silver linings. 

8. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE THING ABOUT TEACHING IN YOUR HOMETOWN?

I think there is some type of story there. I’m able to teach in the place I grew up in. I know the legacy of the school, and I’m able to contribute to its story. I can give back to a place that gave me a lot growing up. That is my favorite part. It means a lot to me. 

Guest User