Teaching in a Pandemic Reflection Series (Jackson)

Brian Hicks

Brian Hicks

The following is from an interview with Brian Hicks. Brian entered MTC in 2019, and he is currently teaching in Jackson Public Schools at Kirksey Middle School.

1. WHAT DREW YOU TO JOIN THE MISSISSIPPI TEACHER CORPS?

Well, I’ve been a Jacksonian for most of my life. Of course, I knew where I came from and how lucky and fortunate I was to go through JPS. But I was also successful in it, and then went to a school like Ole Miss and was successful. I just knew the value of great teachers like Mrs. Ballard (MTC ‘03), Mr. Powell, and Mr. Everson. When I was a sophomore in college, I wanted to be a professor. So the original plan was to get my masters in History from the University. I heard about MTC at the last minute, and I got the chance to do it. So here I am. I always wanted to give back to the state of Mississippi, and it’s even better to give back to the city of Jackson too.

2. WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST YEAR OF TEACHING LIKE IN MTC?

The first three months were incredibly hard. I thought about quitting. I always say, “Brian Hicks does not quit.” I think I had a really tough time readjusting post-college. Post-grad depression is a real thing. You've had this schedule for the past four years. I knew what I was teaching. I was going to be doing fraternity stuff and NAACP stuff. Then, even knowing I was going to do a graduate program and actually teaching, there were still a lot of unknowns. I think I had a hard time building relationships with my kids. I didn’t adjust to them really well. Then, in November I got advice from Kayleigh, Dottie, Alex, Breanna, and Currie. They encouraged me, and I got to know my kids better. That made me more invested in them. 

3. HOW WAS THIS SUMMER?

Well, one of the things I was looking forward to was the summer. I wanted to spend time with my cohort again. Sure, we can be all together during class and later that night during the year, but the summer is perfect for building the camaraderie and expanding on those relationships. I was also looking forward to getting to know the first years the way that Zoe and Aubrey really helped me the previous year. I wanted to do for other first years what they did for me. You know, I live with Carl, Vilas, and Garrett, so I’m here for them. But I feel like I really don’t know any of the other people very well.

4. WHAT HAS THIS FALL SEMESTER BEEN LIKE FOR YOU AS A TEACHER?

Our district made the decision to go fully virtual. They gave us surveys in May and June. We didn’t know a lot about the virus in April/May. We started learning more and more about it in the summer. I felt like it was better to be safe than sorry. It was better to not be at risk. As far as doing the virtual school, it has been tough. I’m not going to lie. There have been a lot of moments where I’m just like I’d rather be in person. There are way more administrative tasks. Parent contact has been way more now too. I’m sending phone calls, texts, emails, class DoJo - you name it, I do it. Then, having to use the Canvas platform has definitely been a challenge. I still think JPS made the right decision though.

5. WHAT HAVE YOU LEARNED ABOUT YOUR STUDENTS AND THEIR FAMILIES DURING THIS TIME?

My students are very resilient. They have been very flexible and rolled with the punches. They miss being at school, and I miss the interaction as well. Kids are funny, and they are unapologetically themselves. They’re flexible. Some really, really try. Some have had to do more work. And then some have tapped out earlier than usual. I’d say about half of my kids have been on it. The other half I never hear from.

6. WHO HAVE YOU LEANED ON FOR SUPPORT?

Well, I talk to Kayleigh and Breanna quite a bit. I talk with both of them twice a month. Kayleigh specifically, since we both teach Social Studies. She’s amazing too. I remember seeing her teach her first lesson, and it was like she has been doing this for 10 years. She’s been great for support and tools. Breanna is just great to talk to. Also, Abby and Currie have been great too. Currie and I talk a lot about grad school and teacher life. I’m glad we’re together. 

7. WHAT HAS BEEN ONE UNEXPECTED SILVER LINING ABOUT TEACHING THIS SEMESTER?

Even though there is a lot more to do, I have more time to do it. So under normal conditions, the schedule goes something like this: I wake up at 6:40 AM and it takes me about 30 minutes to get ready. I get to school about 7:30, and then I teach and supervise kids from like 8:00 AM - 1:40 PM. I get 1:45 PM - 3:30 PM as a planning block. And even though 100 minutes is quite a bit, it never felt like it was enough time. I had to take things home. Now, JPS gives us a two-hour break in the middle of the day, and we now end school at 2:30 PM, which is an hour earlier. So now I have three hours to do things at school. I can now go home and take care of myself. The additional planning time has been fantastic. 

8. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE THING ABOUT TEACHING IN YOUR HOMETOWN?

That I’m home. I’m giving back to Jackson. Unlike most of my cohort, they had to move to new areas. Compared to them, I had the advantage of already knowing Jackson. I didn’t have to search for housing. I just moved back in with my mom. I knew all of the spots to hang out and eat. Everything was close to me. I didn’t have the dual challenge having to learn school stuff and also having to learn about where I live. I only had to worry about one thing. That was an advantage. I am a proud Jacksonian though, and to give back to it is one of the best things I could’ve done in my 24 years.

Guest User