Participants in the Mississippi Teacher Corps receive the following benefits:
- Full scholarship for a Master of Arts in Teaching from the University of Mississippi (covers all tuition, books, and fees)
- Job placement in a Mississippi public school with full salary and benefits from the school district
- Class A teaching license
- $1,000 summer stipend to help cover moving & incidental expenses (half paid before the middle of July, half paid before the middle of August)*
- $1,300 classroom supplies grant ($1,000 the first year and $300 the second-year)
- $1,000 contract bonus (paid in late fall)
- Free on-campus housing during the summer training program
- Breakfast and lunch during the summer training program
- Free hotel room on Friday and Saturday nights when classes meet in Oxford
- Mentoring and support from the MTC administration, second-year teachers and alumni
*Participants who apply for additional financial aid while a participant of MTC will have their stipends applied to any loans they receive.
- An undergraduate degree with significant coursework (12-18 hours, depending on the subject) in at least one of the following areas: math, science, English, or social studies.
- 3.0 GPA in undergraduate coursework.
- 21 ACT composite score, or 990 SAT composite score, or passing scores on the Praxis Core test (Reading: 156, Writing: 162, Math 150).*
- Passing score on the Praxis II test in the subject area you wish to teach (click here for more information on the PRAXIS tests)*
* Application to the program can occur before taking the Praxis exam(s). Acceptance to the program can occur before test scores are confirmed, but full admittance to the program requires passing the testing requirements.